Monday, September 8, 2008

Fig Trees

Wish I'd Done That: color code cups, towels, toothbrushes, etc...Each child has their own color. No more squabbling over who gets what cup. If things don't get put away, Mom knows who did it!


Brilliant idea.....wish I'd known that when the two kiddos were still at home.





When we moved here 20 odd years ago, we spent time meeting new friends at church and from my husband's office. A man from the office invited us over for dinner. I was very excited, and looked forward to it all week.

We went to their home, and the wife met us at the door and invited us into their home. She was a large woman-and her name was Pat (remember that). Being a plump girl myself, I felt right at home with her.

After dinner, we moved to the living room, where the conversation sort of died. Being the resourceful person I am, I looked around their home for something to talk about. They had an entire wall full of plants, and one was a weeping fig tree. I had one, too, and her plant looked really good, so I thought I'd comment on it.




I said, "Oh, Fat, your Pig tree is really great!"


The love of my life started to slide down on the couch in an attempt to disappear, because I didn't stop, I tried to get out of what I'd said.

"Oh, of course, you're not fat!"

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that!" On and on, in exhaustive repetition.

Pat sat there and tried to ignore me, as did her husband.


My ramblings only made it worse, but I couldn't seem to stop. Pat was very gracious;I was never so embarrassed in my life!

We couldn't get out of there fast enough, and I ignored my rule of reciprocating all invitations and never invited them to our home.

When we left, my husband looked at me in amazement and just shook his head.

Tell me you do stuff like that too.........



Oh, well. I struggle.

No comments: